Ivy, a one year old pit bull, was scheduled to be euthanized on Jan 3rd. The New Haven Animal Shelter had decided that she was deteriorating in a shelter setting, and that was that. She was depressed, not eating, losing weight, not thriving.
No, she wasn't. She needs a home.
I know, of course, that Ivy is one of thousands of dogs destined to be killed, simply because they don't have homes, but for some reason, maybe worn down by 10 weeks of pain, I felt like someone had stabbed me right through the heart. I went to bed thinking about it, and woke up in the night anxiously trying to find some answers. I went to their Facebook page, and asked what someone had to do to rescue her. I offered to pay the adoption fee, if someone wanted her, and the money was an issue.
I called Out of the Pits, in Albany, my favorite rescue group, and where I got Roy. They agreed to call the New Haven shelter, to see if they could pull her and buy her some time. I offered to go get her, figuring I could do the 3.5 hour drive on Saturday, if there was someone who would take her when I got back.
I didn't give much thought to bringing her home....DH and my mother and I are pretty squished into this little house. And besides, it wouldn't be real fair to my Roy.
Then, while waiting to hear from Cyd at Out of the Pits, someone posted on FB that Ivy was being rescued, by a brand new group called Running for Rescues.
Hallelujah, and Amen.
They are picking her up, and taking her to her foster home in Vermont, on Sunday. Ivy is starting a new year, and hopefully a new life. Poor baby girl.
I pray that she will get a forever home, soon.
Running for Rescues can be found HERE
They are brand new. Ivy is their FIRST rescue. Their concept is fantastic.......if you are a runner, you can fundraise for them, at whatever race you want to run, whenever you want to run it. It's an amazing concept, and I applaud them.
If you're not a runner, they will help you train for a 5k.
Check them out. You won't be sorry.
For myself, my reaction to Ivy has made me realize that this year is the year I want to do more for a cause that is dear to my heart. The statistics are overwhelming, and I simply cannot stand it. I know I can't save them all, but I also know that I need to be present. Being present means not turning away.



0 Yorumlar