
I've just received this disturbing report regarding a number of webcomic sites with lesbian-themed content being targeted for harassment.
Megan Rose Gedris, creator of the Yu+Me and I Was Kidnapped By Lesbian Pirates From Outer Space webcomic, reports in her LiveJournal about a particular poster with a scary message of hate. The poster wrote:
"I'm glad all of those girls are dykes, them some ugly bitches!
Anways while those two clam-smackers were fingering each other, I busted in their room with a shotgun. No death-ray guns for me, I prefer the old fashion way since more blood splatters that way. I first shot Susan at her head because that's the only way to cure those people than I shot Janet in the head as well.
Two dead dykes and one big smile on the face.
Now it's time for me to wipe out the rest of the Sapphire Sisters."
Was this another "dumb troll" who was probably just some kid in his mom's basement, nothing to worry about?
No, actually:
"Well, turns out he actually WAS a threat. One of my readers is a police guy, who has been watching this guy's internet activities. He was a 45-year old guy living in Toronto, not too far from me and my family. And he was escalating. His "stories" (he posted such things as this all the time) were getting more and more violent and sadistic, all of them featuring violence towards gay people. Scary, right?"
and what sort of stuff did he have on his computer?
"Thousands of images of illegal, sadistic pornography..."
But the story has a happy resolution, as he was taken into custody:
"He can't actually be convicted for threats against fictional people, but he CAN be for illegal porn! Yay justice!"
So you have a grown man writing stuff like:
"...I prefer the old fashion way since more blood splatters that way. I first shot Susan at her head because that's the only way to cure those people than I shot Janet in the head as well."
Does his writing constitute a hate crime? One person on the LiveJournal thread thinks "yes" --
"First off, he just violated his TOS. Get his account shut down.
Second, you can contact the Hate Crime National Hotline at 206-350-HATE (4283). (http://www.lambda.org/hatecr2.htm)
They might be able to give you guidance on any additional rights that you have."
I firmly believe that the person who wrote those hateful things WAS dangerous, IS dangerous, obviously has a lot of hatred against women and lesbian women in particular.
Don't take these things lightly, don't just assume "it's a troll" and that's it. This wasn't some ordinary trolling, this was a guy who calls himself "Da Solution" who writes about shooting lesbians in the head so their blood spatters. Murder: that was HIS solution.
I think the thing to do here is spread the word that this sort of thing happens, share stories, and, most importantly, point out resources to take legal action.
This story makes me sick.
On a lighter note, I read a big chunk of Yu+Me a while ago, and thought it was great. :-)

0 Yorumlar