Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Tracing the steps of poets











Photos from a walk along the banks of the Severn Estuary. Broadchurch is filmed in the nearby town and at this little church, parts of which date from the 12th century.

The romantic poet Coleridge walked up here and sought inspiration from the countryside and sea. He lived in a small cottage with his wife, Sarah Fricker, after their marriage. The house inspired his poem The Eolian Harp.

The  poet Tennyson used to visit his friend Arthur Hallam at a local manor house, now owned by the National Trust, and when Arthur died at just 23 he was buried in the church. Tennyson's poem, In Memoriam, A H H was a tribute to his close friend. I do like to know a little history of a place.

Beyond the church you can see for miles, up and down the estuary and across to Wales. There's an Iron Age hill fort there, perfectly placed for keeping an eye on whoever is approaching.

I hope everyone's had a little sunshine these past few days. I can feel an October chill creeping in now. Apples and pears are falling from the trees and the box of yarn is out ready for a spot of knitting, or maybe even crochet.

Good news about the ivy mining bees, the man from the local authority has advised that they be left well alone, so it seems they have a reprieve. I added my two penn'orth worth and now everyone in the Allotment Society is apprised of their value. No doubt one or two members will be looking wistfully at their bottles of insecticide, but I'm hopeful they'll hold off.

I'll leave you with a question that the littlest boy asked me this evening. "Mum, can a sock go through a printer?" Hmm. I'm wondering what he might be planning.

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar