In a small southern town, a man wakes up in a tree partly naked. He claims to have been abducted by a UFO, along with his car. He goes off in search of his car, and his girlfriend too if he is lucky. Meanwhile, Chuck (Chuck Hartsell) is getting phone calls for zombie movies. He runs a video rental store, and has noticed that more people are renting zombie movies. The caller claims this is because people are learning how to fight them. Chuck doesn't believe this of course, until he is attacked by a zombie. He uses a VCR to defend himself with. When he does this, a VCR tape of Night Of The Living Dead pops out. He calls the police station, but only finds that Barbara (Melissa Bush) is working there. All the officers are either gone, or busy elsewhere. So Chuck loads the body into his truck, and drives it over to the station. He then leaves it there for Barbara to deal with, along with a post-it note with his number on it. When Agent F (John Walker) shows up though, everyone begins to realize the zombie threat is for real.
Hide And Creep was shot on a very low budget. The zombies look like people that haven't slept in a long time - pale skin with black under their eyes. It was obvious from the start that comedy was going to be a big part of this movie. Some of it amused me, but I didn't find anything that actually made me laugh. We get characters such as the guy more obsessed with his car, instead of his girlfriend; and a Clerks type of guy, who just happens to work in a video store. There is also the gun nut who teaches his daughters all about guns. Outside of the not so funny comedy, at least to me, I also had some other problems. Hide And Creep wants us to believe that the government knows about zombies, but has never actually told anyone. I guess this isn't too much of a leap in faith really. If bitten by a zombie, you turn into one. At least that is what they kept saying, but it never really happens. A preacher spends most of his time cleaning up his church through the first part of the film. When a woman comes in to talk, he is happy to do so. When they are finished he is attacked by three zombies. I know it was supposed to be funny, but I had to wonder how he didn't notice three zombies while cleaning up. Maybe I just take things too seriously sometimes.
The effects are rather on the light side of things. To be honest, I wasn't expecting much for effects when I noticed how the zombies looked. When the zombies had disheveled clothes and a little bit of makeup to make them kind of dead, it is easy to assume that I won't be seeing much for effects elsewhere. There is some blood, but it's just not all that gory. At least it wasn't to me. The acting wasn't the greatest, but I was forgiving with it for the most part. It is one of those movies where the acting comes off as bad at first, but the longer you watch it, the better it seems to get. I don't know if I was just getting used to the acting, or it really did start to get better or what.
For a low budget movie, Hide And Creep didn't turn out all that bad. Even though I never actually laughed, I did find a few things kind of funny at least. I don't want to discourage anyone from giving this movie a try, even though it didn't work for me as well as I would have liked. I tend to be hard on horror/comedies because I feel it is hard to balance the two genres. I tend to have to be in the mood to watch a comedy as well. A good comedy can put me in the mood no matter what. But I may not enjoy it as much if I am not in the right mood for it. When I watch a horror movie, I want to be scared. A little laughter never hurts, but I want it to be more scary than funny. Because of that I didn't enjoy Hide And Creep all that much. Still though, I think it is a movie that needs to be judged by each person that watches it, since it isn't all that bad of a low budget movie. Those are hard to find. On a quick side note, I started this review before I went to the convention this last weekend. I wanted to get it done before starting my next review. I will try to have a new one up tomorrow for the movie I did get to watch at the convention.
2 out of 5 Wondering how many zombies I could kill if I knew how to use a gun


0 Yorumlar